Method Statement For Installation Of Electrical PVC Conduits And Accessories In The Concrete Slabs, Columns, Block Works And Concrete Walls
1. Introduction and Scope
This method statement explains the detailed requirements and procedures for the installation of PVC Conduits and accessories in the concrete slabs, columns, block works and concrete walls.
2. Applicable Project Specification
- Document No.:
- Section: Conduit
3. Location of Activity
Inside and out side the building.
Material: Material used will be as approved by the engineer. The sizes and routes routing will be as per the approved shop drawing.
Storage and Protection: Deliver components parts to site, completely identified in accordance with shop and certified CAD drawings prepared for this work. Store in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, above ground, properly protected from the weather and construction activities.
- During the course of the installation of the conduit system, procedures for working and dressing the installation as recommended shall be employed.
- All bends and sets shall be in accordance with IEE regulation 522-08 formed with the aid of a helical spring fitted internally, with if necessary, the conduit warmed sufficiently for it to move without avoidable wall thinning of the out side of the bend.
- Conduit system shall be installed so as to ensure compliance with the requirements of Specified Standard and Regulation.
- Joints between PVC conduit + fittings shall be made with suitable adhesive, but expansion couplings shall be installed where any length of conduit , inclusive of draw in boxes etc, exceeds five meters in length.
- The minimum and maximum sizes of conduit to be employed shall be 20mm and 32mmdiameter respectively, unless otherwise stated in subsequent sections of the specification.
- Conduits in floors shall be routed and installed so as to avoid the fixings of floor standing equipment to be installed on the floor.
6. Fixing of Conduits
When conduits are run on shuttering, prior to the laying of concrete insitu, additional security must be provided near to every box and at intervals of not more than 1.2 meters by binding short lengths of steel wire, of not less than 2mm diameter twisted around the conduit and reinforcing steel. The conduits shall be adequately fixed to prevent excessive movement and damage during the pouring and setting of concrete and shall be protected from mechanical damage. Check there is no damage before screed / concrete is poured. Unless otherwise indicated to cast in conduits shall not be less than 30mm.cores to plastered over conduits shall not be less than 5mm.
Where conduits are left "open ended" prior to wiring they shall be protected by caps or plugs to prevent the ingress of building material.
All conduits runs must be designed to permit wiring to be readily installed after the complete erection of the conduits through the available draw-in, accessory and luminary suspension boxes.
Where surface mounted equipment (other than luminaries) is specified, all concealed conduits shall be terminated and an adaptable box installed recessed into the wall at every surface mounted equipment position.
Where conduits pass through an external wall/roof the conduit box shall be fitted on the side and after wiring filled with an inert, permanently plastic compound having a high insulation value.
Make provision in conduit and trunking, installation where building expansion joints are crossed or settlement is likely
Ensure conduits are not concealed until works has been inspected and approved. Ensure that conduit and fittings buried in concrete or behind plaster are protected against corrosion or electrolytic action prior to rendering.
- Project Manager:
- To ensure that all the preparation and application works are carried out according to the Contract Specification and with the approved drawings.
- To ensure that the progressing of work is carried out according to the planned program and as per the approved method of statement.
- To ensure that all the equipment and materials required to execute the work are available according to the planned construction program.
- To co –ordinate with the Main contractor, MEP Coordinator and Safety Officer, for a safe and proper execution of the works.
- Site Engineer:
- To ensure that the works are carried out according to the Contract Specifications, approved method statement and the shop drawings.
- To provide all necessary information and distribute responsibilities to his construction team.
- To monitor the progress of work in relation with the work program and to report to the Project Manager.
- To co-ordinate with the safety officer and to ensure that the works are carried out in safe practicing methods.
- The foreman will carryout his duties by maintaining continuous coordination with the site engineer on daily basis, and ensure proper distribution of the workforce in the required and planned locations.
- To ensure that his assistant foreman/ charge hand are aware of the job requirements and they have enough information to carryout their duties properly.
- To ensure in consultation with the site engineer that the manpower involved in the works are moving as agreed and planned for the work.
- To ensure that the daily work is progressing as planned and advise the site engineer of any requirement for additional resources.
- To control disposal of waste materials according to the instructions received from the site engineer.
- To ensure full coordination with the safety officer to maintain safe working and proper house keeping of the site, following the approved safety measures and further ensure that all his working team are aware of the same to prevent accident and losses.
- To inform the site engineer and of the areas ready for inspection.
- Distribution and the control of material shall be monitored by foreman and store keeper.
8. Equipment Requirements
The requirements that will be engaged for PVC Conduiting works will be as follows:
- Hack saw
- Measuring tape
- Cutting plier
- Knipex (End cutter)
- Bending spring
- Drilling Machine
9. Health and Safety
Strictly followed as per the manufacturer’s Health and Safety recommendations for handling and use of the materials. Ensure all involved personnel shall be aware of the same.
10. Inspection and Test Plan Format For Installation Of PVC Conduits And Accessories In The Concrete Slabs, Columns, Block Works And Concrete Walls
|ITP Clause No.||Inspection Description||Type of Inspection||Reference Document||Testing Requirement/ Acceptance Criteria||Verifying / Control Data Forms|
|1||Design and Drawings||Review of Documents||Design Drawings||All the Drawings||Design Drawings, Authorities Departments Requirements|
|2||Material Approval||Review of Documents||Approved Drawing, Specification||Should be as per the approved drawing and Specification||Documents Submittals|
|3||Check installation of PVC Conduits||Visual||Approved Method Statement||Proper bends correct height and Location, material should have minimum status on – No Objection with comments (2)||Approved Drawing Method Statement|
|4||Raise inspection request||Visual Measurement instrument||Approved Drawings||NO obstructions height, Proper position||Approved Drawings|