Method Statement For Installation Of Galvanized Conduits that has to be installed on the Exposed Surface of a building is described here.
1. Introduction and Scope
This method of statement specify the detailed requirements and procedures for the installation of Galvanized Conduits for the exposed surface installation requirement for MEP services of the above building.
2. Applicable Project Specification
- Section: Electrical Cable Containment
- Division: Installation
- Sub Division: Subdivision
3. Location of Activity
Mechanical Room / Exposed Area
Material:Material used will be as approved by the engineer and routing will be as per the approved shop drawings.
Storage and Protection:Deliver component parts to site, completely identified in accordance with shop and certified drawings prepared for this work. Store in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, above ground, properly protected from the weather and construction activities.
No conduit smaller than 20mm in diameter or larger than 32mm diameter shall be used.
Where a terminal block to be accommodated in the circuit box an extension ring shall be provided.
Draw-in conduit boxes shall be incorporated at intervals not exceeding:
- Straight run - 10 m.
- Run with four bends - 2.5 m.
- Run with three bends - 5 m.
- Run with one or two bends - 10 m
Conduits, which are more than slightly damaged, shall be rejected. Conduits in floors shall be routed and installed so as to avoid the fixings of floor standing equipment to be installed on the floor.
All joints in PVC conduits, other than screwed joints, shall be cemented with a waterproof adhesive. This adhesive shall be as recommended by the conduit manufacturer.
Screwed connections between steel conduits and accessories shall be screwed up tight , where coupled by a socket the conduit ends shall butt together; running joints shall be provided with back nuts which shall be screwed up tight.
PVC conduit shall be saddled at a minimum of 1 meter intervals. All saddles, tubes and boxes must be in perfect alignment to avoid any appearance of warping when the installation is complete. Saddles should not be so tight as to prevent expansion of the conduit.
Steel conduits run on the surface shall be secured with galvanized saddles spaced not mores than 2 meters apart, on the other hand, a space bar type saddles will NOT be permitted.
Conduits shall not be run closer than 0.15m to any steam or hot water pipes and shall be run underneath such pipes rather than over them. It should not also be run closer than 0.05m to any telephone, bell or other signaling circuit.
No wiring or draw-in wires, cables or wire of any description are to be drawn into the conduits until the section of the conduit system involved is complete.
Drawn-in boxes must be provided to give access to all conduit for the drawing-in or out of any cable after the installation is completed.
Particular care shall be taken to ensure that no grout or other foreign materials enters the conduit system through joints, or through surface openings. Screw holes in boxes must kept entirely free and clean. After screeding, a compressed air is to be blown through the conduit system to ensure that it is clean and a steel draw wire of adequate size to be pulled through to a certain that no obstructions is adhering to the inside of the conduits.
Fixing of Conduits
When conduits are run on shuttering, prior to the laying of concrete insist, additional security must be provided near to every box and at intervals of not more than 1.2 meters by the introduction of short lengths of steel wire, of not less than 2mm diameter twisted around the conduit and reinforcing steel. The conduits shall be adequately fixed to prevent excessive movement and damage during the pouring and setting of concrete and shall be protected from mechanical damage. Check there is no damage before screed/concrete is poured. Unless otherwise indicated, to cast in conduits shall not be less than 30mm. Cores to plaster over conduits shall not be less than 5mm. Galvanized or cadmium plated screws shall be used in all cases where galvanized conduit is installed.
Where conduits are left "open ended" prior to wiring caps or plugs to prevent the ingress of building materials shall protect them.
All conduits runs must be designed to permit wiring to be readily installed after the complete erection of the conduits though the available draw-in, accessory and luminary suspension boxes.
Where surface mounted equipment (other than luminaries) is specified, all concealed conduits shall be terminated and an adaptable box installed recessed into the wall at every surface mounted equipment position.
Where conduits pass through an external wall/roof a conduit box shall be fitted on the inside and after wiring filled with an inert, permanently plastic compound having a high insulation value.
Make provision in conduits and trunking, insulation where building expansion joints are crossed or settlement is likely.
Ensure conduits are not concealed until work has been inspected and approved. Ensure that conduits and fittings buried in concrete or behind plaster are protected against corrosion or electrolytic action prior to rendering.
- To ensure that all the preparation and application works are carried out according to the Contract Specification and with the approved drawings.
- To ensure that the progressing of works is carried out according to the planned program and as per the approved method of statement.
- To ensure that all the equipment and material required executing the work are available according to the planned construction program.
- To co-ordinate with the Main contractor, MEP coordinator, Safety Officer for a safe and proper execution of the works.
- To ensure that the works are carried out according to the Contract Specification, approved method statement and the shop drawings.
- To provide all necessary information and distribute responsibilities to his construction.
- To monitor the progress of work in relation with the work program and to report to the Project Manager.
- To co-ordinate with the safety officer and to ensure that the works are carried out in safe practicing method.
- The foreman will carry out his duties by maintaining continuous coordination with the site engineer on daily basis, and ensure proper distribution of the work force on the required and planned locations.
- To ensure that his assistant foreman/ charge hand are aware of the job requirements and they have enough information to carry out their duties properly.
- To ensure that the daily work is progressing as planned and advice the site engineer of any requirement for additional resources.
- To ensure in consultation with the site engineer that the manpower involved in the works are moving as agreed and planned for the work.
- To control disposal of waste materials according to the instructions received from the site engineer.
- To ensure full coordination with the safety officer to maintain safe working and proper house keeping of the site, following the proved safety measures and further ensure that all his working team are aware of the same to prevent accident and losses.
- To inform the site engineer regarding areas ready for inspection.
- Foreman and the storekeeper are responsible for the distribution and control of materials.
6. Tools and Equipment
The equipments that will be engaged for surface G.I Conduits works will be as follows:
- Painting Brush
- Measuring tape
- Cutting plier
- Threading Machine
- Box spanner set
- Bending Machine
- Pipe Wrench
- Drilling Machine
- Round files
- Bench vise
- Tripod stand wise
7. Health and Safety
Strictly followed as per the manufacturer's Health and Safety recommendations for handling and use of the materials. Ensure all involved personnel shall be aware of the same.
8. Inspection and Test Plan
|ITP Clause No.||Inspection Description||Type of Inspection||Reference Document||Testing Requirement/ Acceptance Criteria||Verifying / Control Data Forms|
|1||Design and Drawings||Review of Documents||Design Drawings||All the Drawings||Design Drawings, Authorities Departments Requirements|
|2||Material Approval||Review of Documents||Approved Drawing, Specification||Should be as per the approved drawing and Specification||Documents Submittals|
|3||Check installation of GI Conduit and accessories||Visual||Approved Method Statement||Proper bends Correct height and Location, material should have minimum status of – No Objection with comments (2)||Approved Drawing Method Statement|
|4||Raise inspection request||Visual Measurement instrument||Approved Drawings||No obstructions height, Proper position||Approved Drawings|
Last Modified: 16-Jan-2019