External, Exterior and Outdoor Lighting System includes lighting units with luminaires, lamps, ballasts, poles / support structures, and accessories and related power distribution and control, protective earthing and related builder's work including column foundations, cable pits, cable trenches and ductwork.
Related Sections include the following: Section "Basic Electrical Materials and Methods", Section "Interior Lighting" for interior fixtures, lamps, ballasts, emergency lighting units, and accessories; and for exterior luminaires normally mounted on buildings or outside buildings.
Definitions in External, Exterior and Outdoor Lighting System
- Lighting Unit: A luminaire or an assembly of luminaires complete with a common support, including pole, post, or other structure, and mounting and support accessories.
- Luminaire (Light Fixture): A complete lighting device consisting of lamp(s) and ballast(s), when applicable, together with parts designed to distribute light, to position and protect lamps, and to connect lamps to power supply.
Extra Materials in External, Exterior and Outdoor Lighting System
Spare Parts: Provide items necessary for maintenance, and up to 5 percent (or nearest whole unit) of installed quantities of each type of lamp, control gear, fuses, luminaire covers, special bolts or nuts, lamp-holders and the like which are subject to burning, breakage or failure.
Furnish extra materials described below that match product installed and that are packaged with protective covering for storage and identified with labels clearly describing contents and contract number.
- Lamps: 10 for every I 00 of each type and rating installed. Furnish at least 5 of each type.
- Glass and Lenses, Covers, and Other Optical Parts: I for every 50 of each type and rating installed. Furnish at least 2 of each type.
- Ballasts: I for every 50 of each type and rating installed. Furnish at least 2 of each type.
- Globes and Guards: I for every 20 of each type and rating installed. Furnish at least I of each type.
Connections in External, Exterior and Outdoor Lighting System
- Ground equipment. Tighten electrical connectors and terminals according to manufacturer's published torque-tightening values.
- Ground metal poles/support structures according to Division 16 Section "Grounding and Bonding."
- Nonmetallic Poles: Ground metallic components of lighting units and foundations.
- Connect luminaires to grounding system with conductor as shown on plans or in accordance with Regulations.
Cleaning and Adjusting in External, Exterior and Outdoor Lighting System
- Clean units. after installation. Use methods and materials recommended by manufacturer.
- Adjust amiable luminaires and luminaires with adjustable lamp position to provide required light distributions and intensities.
Last Modified: 09-Feb-2019